Kombucha Drink Recipe: Kaliyoga at Home
Kombucha, the effervescent drink that greets you in Andalusia and Puglia Kaliyoga. We’ve yet to meet a guest who doesn’t crack a smile at the sight (and taste!!) of kombucha. Soothing, delicious and packed full of probiotics, it’s as healthy as it is tasty. Here at Kaliyoga, we love creating our own homemade mocktails and Kombucha drink. Both offering many health benefits (they taste rather delightful too!).
According to the Chinese, kombucha is known as the “Immortal Health Elixir” and it orientated around 2,000 years ago.
Kombucha is a beverage with tremendous health benefits.
Due to the fermentation process involved in creating kombucha, it contains a large number of healthy bacteria also known as probiotic. These bacteria line your digestive tract and support your immune system, as they absorb nutrients and fight infection and illness.
Kombucha is a fermented drink consisting of black tea and sugar (the sugar can come from various sources, including cane sugar, fruit or honey). After fermentation, kombucha becomes carbonated and contains B vitamins, enzymes, probiotics and a high concentration of acid.
Kombucha drink: Soothing, delicious and packed full of probiotics.
Ingredients for kombucha drink
- 2 + 3 cups water
- 4 organic black or green tea bags
- A ½ cup of organic cane sugar
- 1 cup starter tea or raw plain kombucha
- 1 SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast)
- Bring 2 cups of water to just about boiling.
- Add the tea bags. Steep for around 5 minutes, then remove the tea bags.
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Let the sugar tea mixture cool to
- room temperature.
- Transfer sugar tea mixture to the mason jar.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of water.
- Add starter tea.
- With clean hands, place your SCOBY on top of the liquid.
- Cover the jar with the cloth and use the elastic to hold it in place.
- Place the jar away from direct sunlight, away from the stove, any vents
- or temperature fluctuations.
- Allow your brew to ferment for 7-10 days.
- Start tasting your kombucha drink on the 5th day, use a straw to push the SCOBY aside.
- You’ll know when your kombucha is ready when it is not too sweet or too acidic. Taste it every day until you find the right balance.
- When your kombucha drink is ready, set aside 1 cup of the fermented tea, this will be your starter tea for your next batch.
- Set the SCOBY aside as well. You may place tea and SCOBY is another glass container.
- You can bottle your kombucha drink now or do a second ferment if you want to add more flavours.
- To bottle your plain kombucha drink: Get a clean bottle. Place the funnel and small plastic sieve on top. Carefully pour the kombucha tea into the bottle. Leave about a couple of inches of air space at the top. Close the bottle. Store in the refrigerator.
Fermentation Scoby’s or kefir grains and Crock Pots from www.happykombucha.co.uk
If you re-create any of our recipes, we would love to see! Use the hashtag: #kaliyogaathome
Get caught up: Why Eat A Raw Food Plant-Based Diet? Read more here.
Follow us on social media